AgriLawn's Green Scene Blog
Time for Fescue Seeding
It’s almost time to again undertake the task of over-seeding your fescue grass for its upcoming growing season. Here are some helpful tips to ensure you get maximum germination of seed and healthy maturation of the young fescue.
1. Prepare a favorable seed bed by lightly raking the soil surface to loosen the top layer and remove any debris such as leaves, sticks and rocks.
2. Mow existing fescue (no more than 1/3 of the current height).
3. Apply seed at the labeled rate (usually 8-10 lbs. per 1000 sq. ft.).
4. Irrigate seeded areas daily to keep soil moist. This should just be a light irrigation (6-8 minutes) over the next 30 days as seed germinates.
5. Keep fallen leaves from piling and setting on the young fescue. Use a leaf blower to remove leaves from area.
You can start mowing the new fescue once it has reached a 3-4 inch height but remember do not remove more than 1/3 of the current height. For more information or if you need us to accomplish some fescue seeding for you this year please give us a call.